Elective FAQ's .. Blog is under construction please bear for few days. thank you

Elective FAQ's .. Blog is under construction please bear for few days. thank you
All about Electives for Beginners.

Friday, March 12, 2010

IMMUNIZATION




  Q1. What are the immunization requirements? Am I supposed to be immunized? 
  • Yes, when you enter the United States you are supposed to be immunized against certain diseases. They are very particular about such things. Each University has various requirements. I will list a few common diseases you should be immunized against.
1.       Hepatitis B
2.       Mumps
3.       Measles
4.       Rubella
5.       Varicella
6.       Diptheria
7.       Pertussis
8.       Tetanus
9.       Tuberculosis.

 
Q2. What proof do I need of these vaccinations?
  •      .You will need proof that you were immunized against these diseases in childhood (Most of us don’t have these records). And we also need antibody titers showing that we have the antibodies to these diseases. So if u don’t have record of your childhood vaccination don’t worry.. Get antibody titers done , The titers are fair enough proof that u are immunized.



 Q3. Where do I get the titers done?
  •         You can get the titers done in any big hospital or any big Clinical lab. ( I am from Karnataka so I know you can get it done from Apollo Hospitals in Bangalore.)



 Q4. How much is the expenditure?
  •         It depends on the place u getting it done. In Bangalore it costs anywhere from 6k to 10k to get these titers done.



  Q5. How much time does it take to get these titres?
  •        It takes appx 7 days to get all the results.



  Q6. I don’t know whether I was immunized in the childhood or not. What do I do?
  •  You have 2 options – a) Get your titers done and if any of them are negative get urself vaccinated with that vaccine and re-do the titers for that disease.  b) Get yourself vaccinated again whether or not u were vaccinated in childhood and then get your titers done after 3 weeks.....It depends on u as the time required for antibodies to appear in blood is minimum 15 days.. I am talking about IgG not IgM.


  Q7. I got negative titers. What to do?
  •         You will have to get yourself immunized again and then re do the titers after 3 weeks.



  Q8. I got the disease during childhood. Do I need to get vaccinated?
  •         No if u got the disease during childhood,u are immune and u should have positive antibody titers.



  Q9.  Do I send the originals to the Universities?
  •         No you will have to photocopy the reports. Get them attested by your Chief medical officer ( or any authorized person) and send.




No comments:

Post a Comment